Entry into the United Kingdom / VISA

Brexit is unlikely to affect your journey into the UK. EU citizens and UK nationals will continue to be able to travel freely with a passport or identity card until the end of the transition period in 2020.

If you’re from an EEA country or Switzerland, you can enter the UK with either a valid passport or a national identity card issued by an EEA country.

If you’re not from an EEA country, you must have a valid passport to enter the UK. It should be valid for the whole of your stay. You may also need a visa, depending on which country you’re from. For further information, please visit:

It could take more than a month to obtain a visa from the Embassy or Consulate in your country. We strongly recommend you complete the registration and payment well in advance to receive the application form for supporting documents for your visa in time.

Emergency Calls

To Where

Phone Number

Main Emergency Number

(Ambulance, Police, Fire Service)

999 or

112 (this will work from any mobile phone)

Non-emergency Number for the Police


Non-emergency Medical Number



Street crime is often opportunistic, so making yourself less of a target, moving with purpose and being aware of your surroundings will go a long way to keeping you safe. Plan your route in advance. Carry a charged mobile phone and some cash, and tell someone where you’re going. Keep your valuables including your mobile phone, other devices and jewellery, hidden. Try to avoid walking alone at night in places such as parks and side streets or any unfamiliar environment.

Drinking Water – Tap Water

Tap water is safe to drink anywhere in the UK unless mentioned otherwise. Also, you can buy mineral water at convenience stores, supermarkets, and station kiosks, etc.

Currency Exchange

The official currency of the UK is the Pound Sterling (£) and it’s the only currency accepted when paying in cash. Currency exchange is available at hotels and designated foreign exchange banks.

Credit Cards, Debit Cards, Traveller’s Cheques and ATMs

Major credit cards such as VISA, MasterCard, Diners Club and American Express are widely accepted in the UK. Personal cheques are not accepted anywhere in the UK. Traveller’s Cheques are accepted at a wide variety of shops, restaurants and hotels, as well as banks and a foreign currency exchange bureau.

There are many cash dispensers and ATM machines for you to use across the UK and almost every bank has a cash dispenser. Cash machines can also be found in some supermarkets, post offices, petrol stations and train stations.


The average temperatures in Birmingham during the period of the General Assembly would generally be as follows:



Humidity (%)

Average High



Average Low







You can check the latest weather forecast here.


The normal voltage and frequency of the electricity supply in the UK is 230 v 50 Hz. It’s not always safe to use electrical equipment that is rated at a voltage different from the UK supply. Check before you plug it in. Electrical sockets in the UK are 3 pin.


Taxi fares start at approximately £8 with additional costs depending on distance covered and time elapsed. Payment is made when you reach your destination and the exact fare is shown clearly on the meter, for transparency and assurance. Tipping is not necessary at any time when taking a taxi.

For those who prefer mobile app based ride hailing services, Uber is available in Birmingham


It is customary to leave 10 - 15% of the bill when eating out. However, restaurants often add on a service charge (usually 12.5%), especially if you're in a large group, so it's worth checking your bill if you don't want to tip twice. It's not customary to pay a tip for fast food, self-service or takeaway meals.


Smoking is banned in all indoor public places and at certain outdoor locations that are ‘substantially enclosed’, such as football grounds and covered walkways. It is also banned on all parts of a railway station, even open-air platforms. You are allowed to smoke outdoors, but always check surrounding areas for non-smoking signs.

Unit of Measurement

Metric measurements are used (grams, kilograms, millilitres or litres) for sale of packaged or loose goods in England. The only products you can buy in imperial measures are draught beer or cider by pint.


The Organising Committees and/or Conference Organisers will not be held liable for personal accidents or losses or damage to private property of registered delegates to the General Assembly. Delegates should make their own arrangements with regards to personal insurance.

Contact us